With people all over the world kicking animal products out of their diets this January, our food stylist Nick Walsh has come up with this tasty vegan dish. See Nick’s profile on our website now.
250g Sushi rice
140g Shiitake shrooms
Dash of oil
20ml Soy sauce
10ml Vegan oyster sauce(if not available just add a little more soy sauce)
1 x Nori sheet
50ml Sushi vinegar (this can be bought ready made, I prefer the ‘Mizkan’ brand)
1/2 Iceberg lettuce roughly shredded
- Wash the rice under cold water and rinse until the water runs clear.
- Cook the rice as directed on the packet, I prefer to use a rice cooker. It should be cooked but still slightly firm to avoid breaking up when being seasoned.
- De-stem the Mushrooms and slice the caps leaving them slightly chunky.
- To a medium heat pan add the oil and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms start to soften. Next add the mirrin. Once this has evaporated slightly add the soy sauce and the vegetarian oyster sauce. Continue to cook the mushrooms until the sauce forms a nice glaze on the mushrooms.
- When the rice is cooked place in a mixing bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Once slightly cooled mix in the sushi seasoning being careful not to break up the rice too much.
- Half and slice the nori sheets.
- Roughly slice the iceberg lettuce and steam for roughly a minute and a half until just starting to wilt.
Plate up and enjoy! I like to add a little soy sauce over the lettuce.