‘Paejon’ are savoury Korean pancakes, and a great alternative recipe to try this Shrove Tuesday. BOSS food stylist Olivia Casson put together this simple, quick and tasty recipe.
125g of flour
a pinch of salt
125ml of cold water
1 large bunch of spring onions (end stems cut off, we want the green bit)
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 sliced red chilli
½ teaspoon of sesame seeds
½ clove garlic (minced)
¼ bunch coriander (picked)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1. Mix the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk in egg and then cold water and a pinch of sesame and the garlic.
2. Wash the spring onions. Cut in half lengthways.
3. Put a frying pan on medium heat and add oil. Swirl the oil to coat the pan.
NOTE: Use a pan big enough to match the full length of the onions. You want to be able to lay them out in the pan flat.
4. Once the frying pan is hot, gently place your spring onions into your pan and fry a little, then add half the chilli and coriander leaves. Now add the batter. Try to keep the spring onions in as straight a line as possible.
5. Watch the surface of the pancake. After 1-2 minutes it will change from being liquid to being more solid with little bubbles.
6. Gently check under the pancake to see if it is browning nicely. You want to flip it once it’ has lightly browned and cook on the following side. This will take about 3 minutes.
7. Take out the pan and garnish with remaining ingredients
8. Serve with kimchi and soy. This dish is also great with seafood.